News item information
Would you like to take part in the 2018 Invictus Games?
Following the success of the 2017 Invictus Games, nominations are now being called for from current serving personnel and veterans for the 2018 Invictus Games. Nominations will close 1 February 2018.
About the Invictus Games
The Invictus Games is an international sporting event for wounded, injured and ill service personnel and veterans. The Invictus Games spotlights the sacrifices participants made while serving their country and highlights their determination to overcome personal restrictions to continue to lead lives of excellence. Events will include Athletics, archery, wheelchair Basketball & rugby, cycling, indoor rowing, powerlifting, swimming, golf, sailing and seated volleyball.
The 2018 games will be held in Sydney, Australia over the period 18 – 29 October 18. The New Zealand Defence Force is seeking nominations for athletes who think they have what it takes to represent New Zealand in this unforgettable sporting event.
A selection camp for potential athletes will be held in Burnham Military Camp over the period 1 – 5 March 18. This will be followed by an additional three training camps throughout the lead up to the games.
Selection criteria are that you have had a significant life-changing event through injury or illness (mental or physical), whilst serving in uniform within NZDF. Your service could be either domestic or operationally.
In addition, you'll need to:
- be able to travel internationally (independently or with minor assistance) in economy class (exceptions may be considered)
- be willing to participate in multiple sporting events
- have clearance from Medical Officer
- be able to self-manage your own medications
- be able to attend camps and travelling internationally without interfering with any future surgical or medical interventions
- have your unit approval if you're currently serving.
Please register your interest by contacting email@example.com.
Nominations will close 1 February 2018.