Standards of service: Code of Claimant Rights

 The Code of Veterans' & Other Claimants' Rights [PDF, 157 KB] sets out standards of service you're entitled to as a claimant. The spirit of the code is positive partnership: working together with trust, respect and understanding.

What your rights are under the Code

As a claimant, you're covered by the Code whether you’re a veteran; or the spouse, partner, child or dependant of a veteran. You have these rights under the Code:

  • Right 1 – to dignity and respect
  • Right 2 – to fair treatment, and consideration of your views
  • Right 3 – to respect for your culture, values and beliefs
  • Right 4 – to a support person(s)
  • Right 5 – to effective communication
  • Right 6 – to full information
  • Right 7 – to respect for your privacy
  • Right 8 – to complain.

What if you don’t get those rights

Raising a concern

If you find our service falls short of these standards, tell the staff member concerned or their manager. They must:

  • work with you to address your concern; and
  • let you know how they’ve addressed it.

Making a Complaint under the Code

If this doesn’t resolve your concern, you can lodge a Complaint under the Code with our Complaints service. Complaints Service will then look into your concern and decide whether we breached the Code.

Use our Complaints Form [PDF, 220 KB] to lodge the complaint.

Seeking a Review under the Code

If you’re not happy with this decision, you can seek a Review under the Code. You must:

  • use our form for Review under the Code; and
  • get it to us within 3 months of the decision (unless the delay was beyond your control).

An independent Review Officer, appointed by Chief of Defence, will:

  • review your complaint; and
  • issue a decision within 30 days of us getting your application.

Upholding your complaint

If your complaint is upheld at complaint or review stage, we may be told to do any of these:

  • apologise to you
  • explain to you what happened
  • send you more information
  • meet with you
  • give you access to an interpreter
  • give you access to your file
  • help you get answers to any further questions or requests
  • do other things to resolve the issue.

We’ll also draw up, for our staff, lessons from what happened.

How to resolve other concerns

If your concern can’t be dealt with under the Code, we may be able to suggest other ways of resolving it:

  • Reviews — your rights if you disagree with a decision about whether you qualify for an entitlement or service
  • Complaints — your rights if unhappy with our assessment of your needs, or with the services you’re getting or not getting
  • Health & Disability Commissioner (external link) —  your rights if concerned about the quality of your health and disability services.

Finding out more

One-page summary

Related information

Relevant legislation