To get Travel Allowance, you must be on one of these permanently or for 3 continuous years:
- War Disablement Pension with your impairment being at least 100%
- Disablement Pension for whole-person impairment of at least 75%
- Permanent Impairment Compensation for whole-person impairment of at least 75%.
One of these must also apply:
- some of that pension or compensation is for loss of at least part of a limb
- you’re totally blind
- you’re medically assessed as unfit to travel alone.
Assessment of needs
You must also be assessed as needing Travel Allowance. You'll be assessed if you need help to:
- do day-to-day errands—such as shopping and paying bills, and
- stay independent in your home.