Skip to main content

Travel Allowance—Veterans' Independence Programme

Travel Allowance supports those with Qualifying Service that have a severe impairment and need support staying independent.

{{ controlText }}

Who can get this

To get Travel Allowance, you must be on one of these permanently or for 3 continuous years:

  • War Disablement Pension with your impairment being at least 100%
  • Disablement Pension for whole-person impairment of at least 75%
  • Permanent Impairment Compensation for whole-person impairment of at least 75%.

One of these must also apply:

  • some of that pension or compensation is for loss of at least part of a limb
  • you’re totally blind
  • you’re medically assessed as unfit to travel alone.

Assessment of needs

You must also be assessed as needing Travel Allowance. You'll be assessed if you need help to:

  • do day-to-day errands—such as shopping and paying bills, and
  • stay independent in your home.
What you can get

Travel Allowance is paid:

  • every two weeks within NZ, and
  • every four weeks overseas.

Travel allowance includes the costs of a travel escort if you need one.

Travel Allowance payment rate

How to apply

This support is provided as part of the Veterans' Independence Programme (VIP).

Apply through the Veterans' Independence Programme

What happens next

After you apply we'll:

  1. contact you to confirm we've received your application
  2. start the decision-making process
  3. keep you informed on the status of your application.

If we need more information, we'll get in touch with you.

How we make decisions

Find out more

Contact us for more information

We strive to be transparent. If you want to know how this entitlement is administered you can read the policy.

Veterans' Independence Programme policy [PDF, 430 KB]