Skip to main content

Qualifying Service

Qualifying Service

To get support from us you — or certain family members — need to have Qualifying Service.

Introduction to Qualifying Service

There are two types of Qualifying Service:

  • Qualifying Routine Service
  • Qualifying Operational Service.

You don't need both types of Qualifying Service to get support. Either type will give you eligibility.

The support you can get depends on your unique service, including:

  • where you served
  • when you served.

You will also need to meet the individual requirements for each service or entitlement.

{{ controlText }}



To have treatment funded for a medical condition, your injury or illness needs to be linked to Qualifying Service.

Conditions we cover

Commemorative Travel Contribution

To get a Commemorative Travel Contribution you need to:

  • have Qualifying Operational Service
  • be undertaking travel that's related to the Qualifying Operational Service you're commemorating.

Commemorative Travel Contribution

Qualifying Operational Service

You will have Qualifying Operational Service if you have deployed to an area that has been declared as Qualifying Operational Service.

List of Qualifying Operational Service

Check your eligibility

The easiest way to understand the support you can get is to check your eligibility online. It only takes a few minutes.

Check your eligibility now

How Qualifying Operational Service is determined

An operation is determined "eligible" based on its assessed threat level.

  1. After the decision to deploy has been made, the Chief of Defence Force must give a report to the Minister for Veterans as soon as possible. This report assesses the operational and environmental threats to deployed personnel. Deployments that have already ended can also be reviewed.
  2. The Minister for Veterans decides if there is a significant risk of harm to deployed personnel.
  3. The Minister for Veterans declares the operation as Qualifying Operational Service if it meets the threat threshold. This declaration is published on the Veterans’ Affairs website.

The full process of declaring an operation as qualifying as per the Veterans' Support Act 2014(external link)(external link)

{{ controlText }}

If you don't have Qualifying Operational Service

If you don't have Qualifying Operational Service — and didn't serve before 1 April 1974 — you are likely not be eligible for support from us.

There is a chance that you have deployed on an operation that has yet to be declared as Qualifying Operational Service. Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date with our work and find out when operations are declared as Qualifying Operational Service.

Sign up for our newsletter

If you served before 1 April 1974 — regardless of where — you will have Qualifying Routine Service.

If you have a work-related injury or illness you may be able to get support from ACC.

ACC website(external link)(external link)

Qualifying Routine Service

You will have Qualifying Routine Service if you served in the NZ Armed Forces before 1 April 1974 — either in New Zealand or overseas.

Qualifying Routine Service recognises that before 1 April 1974, service members were not covered for work-related injuries or illnesses. Because of this, we provide support to all those that served in the NZ Armed Forces during this time.

Qualifying Routine Service stopped on 1 April 1974 with the introduction of ACC. Since that date, ACC provides support for all New Zealanders who suffer work-related injuries or illnesses. This coverage extends to members of the NZ Defence Force or NZ Armed Forces.