Costs we can help with are the travel itself, accommodation and meals, and out-of-pocket costs. Costs must be actual, reasonable, and not covered by another organisation.
Travel we'll cover
We’ll pay for travel by:
- private vehicle for a round trip — $0.62 per km for the first 200km, then $0.27 onward
- rail, bus, or ferry
- ambulance — if you had to pay
- another reasonable means if needed.
In some circumstances, we may cover airfares. You must get pre-approval from us before you start your travel.
Travel that isn't covered
We won’t cover:
- international travel
- cancelled travel arrangements, or
- unreasonable costs.
Unreasonable costs include:
- a taxi fare if you could reasonably have used public transport
- a public transport fare if you could have travelled free with a SuperGold Card.
Accommodation we'll cover
We can help with the costs of an overnight stay if:
- it was in commercial accommodation, and
- you could not reasonably have avoided an overnight stay — based on your health and what your health provider approves.
We’ll pay up to:
- NZD$110 for one person
- NZD$150 for two people when the second person is an approved escort.
Meals we'll cover
If you need an overnight stay, we’ll help with meal costs.
For a period under 24 hours, we'll pay up to:
- NZD$45 for dinner
- NZD$25 for lunch
- NZD$15 for breakfast
For a period of over 24 hours, we'll pay up to NZD$85 total.
We won't cover costs related to alcohol.
Out-of-pocket costs we'll cover
We’ll only help with out-of-pocket costs if they:
- were directly linked to the travel — for example, parking or road toll fees
- could not be avoided except by paying more for other travel costs, and
- are supported by evidence — for example, a pay-and-display parking ticket.