Costs we can help with are the travel itself, accommodation and meals, and out of pocket costs. Costs must be actual, reasonable, and not covered by another organisation.
Travel we'll cover
We’ll pay for travel by:
- private vehicle for a round trip—$0.62 per km for the first 200km, then $0.27 onward
- rail, bus or ferry
- ambulance—if you had to pay
- another reasonable means if needed.
In some circumstances, we may cover airfares. You must get pre-approval from us before you start your travel.
Travel that isn't covered
We won’t cover:
- international travel
- cancelled travel arrangements, or
- unreasonable costs.
Unreasonable costs include:
- a taxi fare if you could reasonably have used public transport
- a public transport fare if you could have travelled free with a SuperGold Card.
Accommodation we'll cover
We can help with costs of an overnight stay, if:
- it was in commercial accommodation, and
- you could not reasonably have avoided an overnight stay—based on your health and what your health provider approves.
We’ll pay up to:
- NZD$80 for one person
- NZD$100 for two people, when the second person is an approved escort.
Meals we'll cover
If you need an overnight stay we’ll help with meal costs.
For a period under 24 hours, we'll pay up to:
- NZD$35 for dinner
- NZD$15 for lunch
- NZD$12 for breakfast
For a period of over 24 hours, we'll pay up to NZD$62 total.
We won't cover costs related to alcohol.
Out-of-pocket costs we'll cover
We’ll only help with out-of-pocket costs if they:
- were directly linked to the travel—for example, parking or road toll fees
- could not be avoided except by paying more for other travel costs, and
- are supported by evidence—for example, a pay-and-display parking ticket.