Skip to main content

Disablement Pension

The Disablement Pension provides compensation for those with a service-related injury or illness that impairs them.

We have combined two forms into one, simpler to use form 

You will now use a single form if you are:

  • applying for a disablement pension for the first time
  • applying for new conditions
  • reassessing accepting conditions. 

The Disablement Pension application form replaces:

  • "New conditions and reassess accepted disabilities form"
  • "Disablement pension form"

Disablement Pension application form [PDF, 886 KB]

{{ controlText }}

Who can get this

You may be able to get this if:

  • you have Qualifying Service before 1 April 1974, or
  • Qualifying Operational Service in Viet Nam

And have a current injury or illness related to that service.

Qualifying Service explained

If you're not eligible for a Disablement Pension you may be able to get income compensation.

Weekly Income Compensation

Transferring from War Disablement Pension

If you're receiving a War Disablement Pension you can transfer your accepted conditions to a Disablement Pension. You'll also be transferred to a Disablement Pension if you apply for a reassessment of a condition or the addition of a condition.

Transferring to a Disablement Pension won't normally affect how much you get. However, it may change what your family can get. We'll talk with you if transferring will cause loss of support.

To transfer you'll need to:

  1. complete the Transfer to a Disablement Pension application form
  2. send the application form and any supporting information to us.

Download the Transfer to a Disablement Pension application form [PDF, 308 KB]

What you can get

The Disablement Pension is a regular financial payment. Payments are made:

  • every two weeks if you have an NZ bank account
  • every four weeks if you have a bank account outside of NZ.

The amount you receive depends on the reasons you're getting a Disablement Pension. This is normally based on your whole-person impairment rating.

How we calculate whole-person impairment

Disablement Pension payment rates

The Disablement Pension may be paid at the maximum rate if — for treatment — you need for at least one day a week to:

  • live away from home, or
  • take leave from work.

The increase is paid while the situation lasts. It doesn’t affect your whole-person impairment rating.

How to apply

How you apply for the Disablement Pension depends on your situation.

If you're not already getting a pension from us

You'll need to:

  1. complete the Disablement Pension application form
  2. send the application form and any supporting information to us.

Download the Disablement Pension application form [PDF, 886 KB]

What happens next

After you apply we'll:

  1. contact you to confirm we've received your application
  2. start the decision-making process
  3. keep you informed on the status of your application.

If we need more information, we'll get in touch with you.

How we make decisions

When you get it

If you have a temporary Disablement Pension

Working toward rehabilitation is a condition of getting Disablement Pension — unless we accept you’re unable to. Your rehabilitation responsibilities include:

  • working with us to set up a rehabilitation plan
  • engaging fully in vocational rehabilitation
  • attending assessments arranged for you — including vocational reassessment around every 6 months
  • supplying a doctor's certificate every 13 weeks — this helps us to tailor the rehabilitation to your needs.

If things change

You'll need to let us know if your circumstances change.

You can apply for an additional condition to be recognised as service-related using the Disablement Pension application form.

Disablement Pension application form [PDF, 886 KB]

If you have a terminal illness or injury

You can apply for a lump sum payment if you have a terminal medical condition that is accepted as service-related.

The lump-sum option gives you:

  • a one-off payment — worth 12-months Disablement Pension at the maximum rate, and then
  • Disablement Pension again, at the maximum rate, if you survive the 12-month period.

You'll need to:

  • complete the Terminal Entitlement application form, and
  • send the application form and any supporting information to us.

Download the Terminal Entitlement application form [PDF, 382 KB]

How your pension can stop

Your Disablement Pension will end if you:

  • recover from your condition — as confirmed by an appropriately qualified medical professional
  • go to prison (you may still be able to receive treatment and rehabilitation if you were getting this before you entered prison)
  • pass away — the disablement pension ends 28 days after your death
  • don't meet your rehabilitation requirements — we'll notify you before this happens.

If you're getting a Disablement Pension payment for a temporary condition, it will stop if you fail to have a reassessment by a set date.

Find out more

Contact us for more information

We strive to be transparent. If you want to know how this entitlement is administered you can read the internal policy.

Disablement Pension policy [PDF, 552 KB]