We'll fund you to see an audiologist. They'll advise you on a range of options to meet your hearing needs.
Based on their advice we may fund:
- standard hearing aids up to $900 plus GST per aid
- over-scale aids up to $2,000 plus GST per aid—for complex hearing needs
- ear moulds
- hearing accessories, such as remote controls
- consumables, such as wax guards
- assistive listening devices such as amplified telephones
- assessments and fittings
- repairs to hearing aids and appliances
- ear wax removal
- tinnitus counselling
- the loan cost of a CapTel phone if you have a profound hearing loss
We don't fund:
- cochlear implants
- smartphones or tablets used as remotes or microphones
- phones with a dual handset or answer machines
- hearing dogs
If you have a hearing aid approved by us you may be able to get a Battery Allowance.
Replacement of hearing aids
Wear and tear
We'll replace the hearing aid if it no longer works or fits because of age or condition.
Loss, neglect, theft or misuse
We will not usually replace or repair an item if it’s been:
- stolen, or
You should have insurance that covers your aids.
Some insurers are changing the way they cover hearing aids
Your insurer may require you to use certain providers and audiologists. We recommend that you discuss this with your insurance provider if you have any concerns.
We will not fund the replacement of an item if an insurance policy would have covered it.
We don't cover loss or damage during overseas travel. So if you're taking the item outside the country you live in, ensure it’s covered by travel insurance.