Hearing Aids and Appliances

We may fund hearing aids and other appliances if you need them.

{{ controlText }}

Who can get this

You may be able to get this if you have Qualifying Service and either:

  • have hearing loss or tinnitus because of this Qualifying Service, or
  • you get Weekly Income Compensation because hearing loss or tinnitus is stopping you from working.

Qualifying Service explained

Weekly Income Compensation

What you can get

We'll fund you to see an audiologist. They'll advise you on a range of options to meet your hearing needs.

Based on their advice we may fund:

  • standard hearing aids up to $900 plus GST per aid
  • over-scale aids up to $2,000 plus GST per aid—for complex hearing needs
  • ear moulds
  • hearing accessories, such as remote controls
  • consumables, such as wax guards
  • assistive listening devices such as amplified telephones
  • assessments and fittings
  • repairs to hearing aids and appliances
  • ear wax removal
  • tinnitus counselling
  • the loan cost of a CapTel phone if you have a profound hearing loss

We don't fund:

  • cochlear implants
  • smartphones or tablets used as remotes or microphones
  • phones with a dual handset or answer machines
  • hearing dogs


If you have a hearing aid approved by us you may be able to get a Battery Allowance.

Battery Allowance

Replacement of hearing aids

Wear and tear

We'll replace the hearing aid if it no longer works or fits because of age or condition.

Loss, neglect, theft or misuse

We will not usually replace or repair an item if it’s been:

  • lost
  • neglected
  • stolen, or
  • misused.

You should have insurance that covers your aids.

Some insurers are changing the way they cover hearing aids

Your insurer may require you to use certain providers and audiologists. We recommend that you discuss this with your insurance provider if you have any concerns.

We will not fund the replacement of an item if an insurance policy would have covered it.


We don't cover loss or damage during overseas travel. So if you're taking the item outside the country you live in, ensure it’s covered by travel insurance.

How to apply

Current client

Apply for a new condition using the Disablement Pension application form.

Disablement Pension application form [PDF, 1.2 MB]

Not a current client

What form you use to apply will depend on when you served.

Qualifying Service before 31 March 1974 or in Viet Nam

Disablement Pension application form [PDF, 1.2 MB]

Qualifying Operational Service after 1 April 1974 

Veteran Support application form [PDF, 896 KB]

What happens next

If your application is approved:

  1. You'll need to book an appointment for a hearing test with an audiologist yourself.
  2. Let the audiologist know about any social or vocational needs you may have.
  3. We'll discuss what type of hearing aid or appliance you need based on the audiologist's recommendation.

The audiologist will:

  • explain to you how to use and care for your hearing aids
  • give you at least 4 weeks to try the hearing aids
  • adjust the aids as needed during the trial
  • set up an Individual Care Plan for you to sign when you’re happy with the aids.

If you have any problems with your hearing aids, contact us first. Depending on the issue, we might cover extra costs. 

Contact us

Find out more

Contact us for more information

We strive to be transparent. If you want to know how this entitlement is administered you can read the internal policy.

Hearing Aids and Appliances policy [PDF, 619 KB]