We work alongside other government agencies and veterans’ groups to:
- support those with Qualifying Service—as well as their family and whānau
- celebrate their courage, comradeship, and commitment
- commemorate their loss and sacrifice.
We do this by:
- providing support to those with Qualifying Service, their family and whānau, so they can be well at home, at work, and in their communities
- helping coordinate commemorative activities
- maintaining over 180 Service Cemeteries throughout NZ
- working with other organisation that also support and advocate for veterans.
Our clients are diverse
Our clients range from 19 to more than 100 years old. They include retired people, those in civilian life, current service members, and their families. There are over 31,000 New Zealanders who could be eligible for support, services, and entitlements from us.
The legislation we work under
The Veterans' Support Act 2014 defines what support we can provide to those with Qualifying Service and their families and whānau. It guides our decision making and outlines what happens if people disagree with the decisions we make.
View the Veterans' Support Act 2014 in full on the New Zealand legislation website
Our policies help our staff to interpret and apply the Act consistently.
Find out more about our policies
Our work is also governed by the: