Skip to main content

Cyclone Gabrielle Support

Cyclone Gabrielle Support

This page contains support options available to veterans and members of the public who have been affected by Cyclone Gabrielle.
We will update this as new information becomes available.

Last updated: 12pm Wednesday 8 March

Health and wellbeing

Regional Welfare helpline

Regional Welfare helpline contact: 0800 117 672.


  • 8am–8pm on weekdays
  • 8am to 4:15pm on weekends.

It is specifically for welfare needs such as health and wellbeing. However, it might be able to help you with other areas as well.

Regional Welfare can help with:

  • mental health
  • accommodation needs
  • ongoing food, household goods and services support
  • animal welfare.


RSA District Support Manager, Wairarapa | Hawkes Bay | East Coast: 027 239 1008


Government Healthline: 0800 358 5453.


If you have no one to stay with, contact MBIE's Temporary Accommodation Service:

Financial support

Civil Defence

If you've been affected by the cyclone, you may be able to get a Civil Defence Payment. Call Civil Defence on 0800 400 100, there are open Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm.

Contact: 0800 400 100

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Civil Defence support options(external link)(external link)

Civil Defence Payments can help cover the costs of:

  • Food
  • Bedding
  • Clothing
  • Accommodation
  • Loss of income.

Tairāwhiti/Gisborne District Council

The Tairāwhiti Mayoral Relief Fund is open for applications for assistance if you were affected by Cyclone Gabrielle or Cyclone Hale weather events.

Priority for support will be given to:

  • Provision of essentials for daily life, transport needs, and household contents
  • Rebuild or recovery costs of buildings damaged by water, or storm damage
  • Essential items not covered by insurance or other funds.

More information about Mayoral Relief funds(external link)(external link)


Insurance and lodging a claim

If your home, car, or contents have been damaged by the severe weather, take photos before you remove or repair anything and report it to your insurance company as soon as possible.

You only need to contact your insurance company. They’ll let you know what you need to do next, how to claim and — if applicable — how EQ Cover from Toka Tū Ake EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure, and weather tight, please record the work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of the bills you paid.

If you don't have house insurance but do have contents insurance, speak to your insurer about what is covered. Make sure you take lots of photos and keep good records before you throw anything out, where possible.

Free and independent advice is available through Residential Advisory Service. MBIE provides advocacy services and advice to homeowners who are navigating insurance claims to remediate damage suffered due to an event.

Residential Advisory Service website(external link)(external link)



  • 0800 777 299
  • 03 379 7027

EQCover for this event

EQCover provides the following:

  • Landslip damage, EQCover available for damage to house and land. If the house is damaged by the landslide, cover available up to the building cap (up to $150k or $300k, depending on policy renewal date); cover for repair or reinstatement of some residential land, up to the value of the insured land.
  • Flood and storm damage, EQCover only applies to insured land, with private insurers generally providing cover for homes and removal of flood debris such as silt and fallen trees.

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service

People whose homes have been damaged by a natural disaster — like Cyclone Gabrielle and the recent floods across various parts of the North Island — will now have access to a new service to assist and support them if their insurance claims get stuck.

The New Zealand Claims Resolution Service (NZCRS) will provide expert support to homeowners with insurance claims after natural disasters to avoid disputes, resolve issues and ensure claims are settled as quickly as possible.

Homeowners who have concerns about their claim or are unsure about the process can contact NZCRS.

New Zealand Claims Resolution Service website(external link)(external link)


Phone: 0508 624 327

The first port of call is always to work things through with the insurer in the first instance, but if you get stuck or need support with unresolved claims, contact this new service.