Skip to main content

Lump Sum for Permanent Impairment

Lump Sum for Permanent Impairment is a one-off payment to compensate you for the lasting effect a permanent impairment has on you and your family.

{{ controlText }}

Who can get this

You may be able to get Lump Sum for Permanent Impairment if you:

  • have Qualifying Operational Service after 31 March 1974 outside of Viet Nam
  • have a condition related to your Qualifying Operational Service that causes you to have at least a 5% whole-person impairment which is likely to have caused permanent impairment, and:
    • that condition first happened on or after 1 April 2002.

Qualifying Operational Service explained

If you served before 1 April 1974 or in Viet Nam you may be able to get a different type of compensation.

Disablement Pension

What you can get

You may be able to get a one-time payment. The amount depends on your level of whole-person impairment.

Lump Sum for Permanent Impairment payment rates

How to apply
  1. Complete the Veteran Support form.
  2. Get your doctor to fill out the medical sections of the form.
  3. Send the application form and any supporting information to us.

Download the Veteran Support form [PDF, 444 KB]

We may top up your ACC support if you also qualify for our Lump Sum for Permanent Impairment. This also requires for the ACC support to be paying less than what we can do.

What happens next

After you apply we'll:

  1. contact you to confirm we've received your application
  2. start the decision-making process
  3. keep you informed on the status of your application.

If we need more information, we'll get in touch with you.

How we make decisions

Find out more

Contact us for more information

We strive to be transparent. If you want to know how this entitlement is administered you can read the policy.

Lump Sum for Permanent Impairment policy [PDF, 384 KB]