When a decision may be appealed
You can appeal the outcome of a review decision. You must lodge your appeal within 6 months of the date of the review decision.
How to lodge an appeal
- Complete the Appeal against Review Decision application form
- Submit it to the Secretariat of the Veterans' Boards.
Download the Appeal against Review Decision application form [PDF, 397 KB]
How your appeal will be handled
Your appeal will be decided by the Veterans’ Entitlements Appeal Board. This Board is:
- independent of Veterans’ Affairs and
- made up of at least one lawyer and two medical practitioners—one nominated by the RNZRSA.
You may attend the appeal hearing:
- in person—we’ll meet reasonable and necessary costs of your travel within New Zealand, or
- remotely—for example, by video conference or phone.
If the Board agrees, you can have someone represent you at the hearing. We cannot cover any costs related to their attendance at the hearing.