Skip to main content

Support for Viet Nam veterans in Australia

Support for Viet Nam veterans in Australia

We provide specialised support for Viet Nam veterans — including those living in Australia.

How to get started

{{ controlText }}

If you're already registered with Veterans' Affairs New Zealand

Read through this webpage and get in touch with us if you'd like to access the support available.

We'll work with you to understand your needs, and then we'll figure out the best way to support you. This may involve conducting a short needs assessment, or referring you to a health professional.

Get in touch with us

If you're not registered with us

If you're a Viet Nam veteran, and you're not registered with us, we'd encourage you to do so. You might not need support now, but you could in the future.

Register as a Viet Nam veteran

If you need more information, get in touch with us.

Get in touch with us

What kind of support you may be entitled to from us

As a veteran, there's a range of support you may be able to get.

{{ controlText }}

Health and wellbeing

If you have a physical or mental injury or illness related to your qualifying service, we can fund:

  • treatment and rehabilitation
  • income and impairment compensation.

A related injury can be either caused or made worse by your qualifying service.

Independence support

If you need support to stay independent in your home, funding is available as part of our Veterans' Independence Programme. Depending on your needs, we can fund things like:

  • medical alarms
  • garden maintenance
  • podiatry
  • house cleaning.

More about the Veterans' Independence Programme

Commemorative funding

$2,500 is available for international travel that commemorates or celebrates your service. To be eligible for the funding, your trip needs to include travel to either your place of Qualifying Operational Service or an overseas reunion or event linked to your Qualifying Operational Service.


When you retire, if you're a Viet Nam veteran, you may qualify for the Veterans' Pension.

It's similar to New Zealand Superannuation. This means your eligibility and how much money you get will depend on your personal situation. This will include how long you've lived in New Zealand between the ages of 20 and 65. 

You will receive the same amount of money if you're on the Veteran's Pension. You will also receive a few extra benefits:

  • an automatic Community Services Card — it will be combined with your Veteran SuperGold Card
  • your pension isn't reduced if you need long-term hospital care
  • you and your partner may be eligible for a lump-sum payment when your partner dies.

To find out more about the Veteran's Pension

Contact the Veteran's Pension Centre — they are a dedicated team within the Ministry of Social Development.

Extra support for Viet Nam veterans

If you served in Viet Nam you may be eligible for extra support.

  • Annual medical assessment — a free yearly check up.
  • Ex gratia payment of $40,000 if you've been diagnosed with:
    • soft tissue sarcoma
    • Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
    • Hodgkin's disease
    • chloracne
    • chronic lymphocytic leukaemias
    • Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance (MGUS)
    • Hypertension.

The Viet Nam Veterans and their Families Trust provides grants to Viet Nam veterans, and their families, to help with day-to-day life.

To find out more about the Viet Nam Veterans and their Families Trust

End of Life

We can support your family when you die. As a Viet Nam veteran you will qualify for:

  • funding for plaques and headstones
  • assistance with funeral expenses — depending on your personal circumstances
  • burial in a New Zealand services cemetery. 

Support for family

We can provide support to your family if you suffer a service-related death or serious injury.

This support could include:

  • financial compensation
  • financial advice
  • child care support.

Extra support for families of Viet Nam veterans

In addition to the above, the families of Viet Nam veterans are eligible for:

  • counselling for children, spouse or partner, and ex-spouse or partner
  • ex gratia payment for spouse or partners if their veteran died from a specific condition
  • ex gratia payment for natural-born children of Viet Nam veterans diagnosed with:
    • acute myeloid leukaemia
    • adrenal gland cancer
    • cleft lip
    • cleft palate
    • spina bifida.

Get support from Veterans' Affairs, even if you live in Australia

New Zealand and Australia have a long history of working together, including supporting each other's veterans.

If you're a New Zealand veteran living in Australia, or you're planning on moving to Australia, you're still entitled to support similar to what you'd get in New Zealand.

Australia's Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA) works on our behalf to support New Zealand ex-service personnel living in Australia. In return, we help look after Australian veterans in New Zealand.

More information for veterans and their families living in Australia

Working with DVA

To help you get the best support possible in Australia, we may refer you to DVA. This will involve assigning you a DVA case manager in Australia.

If you have a service-related condition, DVA might issue you a White Card. IT's the equivalent of the New Zealand Treatment Card.

Use your White Card when you get medical treatment for a service-related condition. It will ensure that we're billed for the cost through DVA, and you don't need to pay upfront.

Get in touch

Contact us for more information, to register, or to seek support.

Get in touch