Skip to main content

How to make a claim

If you are a veteran with qualifying service, there are a number of ways that you can claim for support.

If you have an injury or health condition that you think relates to your qualifying service, we may be able to help. 

Qualifying service explained 

Conditions we cover

How we determine if you have a service-related condition

Ensure you have qualifying service before starting your claim.

Check your eligibility

How to make a claim

  • Step 1 Ask for a claim form, or download one online

    You can download a form to your device.

    Complete list of our forms online

    Contact us to find out which form you should use and what else you might need to do.

    Contact us

  • Step 2 Fill out the claim form

    • Print the form if needed.
    • Make sure you complete all required sections — including the signature, documents and copies of identification if required.
    • Ensure your GP has completed their section and attached relevant medical reports.
    • The more information you can provide, the quicker we can process your claim.
    • You may be able to fill out the form digitally, depending on your software.

    Tip: Use the checklist on the form to see what steps to take and what documents to include.

  • Step 3 Send us your completed claim form

    You can send either a digital or paper copy of your completed form.

    {{ controlText }}

    To email us a digital copy of your claim

    Email the form and any supporting documents to:

    Make sure your attachments follow our guidelines. For example, the total size of the files in your email must be under 15MB.

    Email guidelines(external link)

    To send us a paper copy of your claim

    Send the form and any supporting documents to:

    Veterans' Affairs
    PO Box 5146
    Wellington 6140
    New Zealand

What happens next?

We will let you know that we have received your claim. 

Learn about what to expect after you have made an a claim

While you are waiting for your claim to be processed

Once you have sent us your claim, you should continue to get any treatment you need through your medical practitioners.

Keep receipts for any treatment you pay for during this time. We may be able to reimburse you for some treatment costs if your claim is accepted.