The Children's Pension is a regular payment.
- every two weeks within NZ, or
- every four weeks to overseas bank accounts.
If you’re under 16, it will be paid to your carer or responsible person. Once you turn 16, it will normally be paid to you.
It’s a tax-free payment, but in some cases IRD may see it as income. Overseas government agencies may also see it as income. If unsure, please ask the agency.
Children's Pension payment rates
Start of pension
Payment is from the day we got your application unless your parent has passed away. In that case, the payment would be from the:
- day after parent's death if the application was received within 6 months of their death, or
- day we got the application if the application was received more than 6 months after their death.
End of pension
Your entitlement to the Children's Pension will end:
- if your parent's War Disablement Pension is reassessed at less than 70%
- if your parent's Disablement Pension is reassessed at less than 52% whole-person impairment.
It will also end once you turn 18 unless you’re either:
- significantly disabled, or
- under 23 and studying full-time.
It also ends 28 days after your death.